Important Note:

Be prayerful before trying any of these ideas! The blog author accepts no responsibility or liability whether real or implied when you choose to try these tips!

Using Junk Mail Envelopes & Keeping Food Safe from Meal Moths

 

Picture credit: kickstarter.com

Using a Junk Mail Envelope Sent to You for Scratch Paper 

Since the pandemic, I have tried to not use up all our printer paper for miscellaneous things. Upon prayerful contemplation, it dawned up me that I get an overabundance of free junk mail envelopes! When I open the envelopes sent to me, I put it like the knife is positioned, but instead of cutting open the flap, I cut in an upward motion to cut across the top of the envelope. Then I slit both sides and lay it flat. I put them in a stack beside my chair, out of sight, so they can air out for a few days, just in case. These are ideal for scratch paper, craft projects, writing greetings on the inside to cut out and make your own greeting cards. If you have the envelopes with the windows, you can cut them in half and use the thinner portion for making shopping lists, etc. If you have younger ones around, you can use the window portion to have them put on a word that has the letter “r”, or that has a “ch” in it, etc. It would be a fun way to help them learn pre-reading skills.

Picture credit: agric.wa.gov.au 

Keeping Our Food Safe from Indian Meal Moths

We had noticed moths on occasion but did not pay much attention to them. Then, we started seeing more and more of them. Then, I started seeing them in our food. That’s when I realized we needed to do something about it. There was a two-week shutdown in March related to the pandemic, and it was difficult to get certain foods during that time. I had friends, family, and neighbors trying to find me flour for baking, and it really got to me that I ended up throwing a bag of flour away, because of the Indian Meal Moths in it. I was prayerful about what to do, since I had to decide whether we have an exterminator come into our house or find another way to protect our food. Again, it was on my heart to watch You Tube videos about getting rid of the moths. I watched several videos ranging from having exterminators, to getting moth tents with pheromones, to eradicating them yourself. I had to take all the things off my shelves, wash the shelf with white vinegar in water, wash the container, and throw contaminated foods in the outside garbage. Also, I took all the popcorn, snack, and other items and put them in the garage for some time, so any moths could leave before I checked them. That primarily worked, but I still found some moths and had to look further. I went through all types of cupboards and drawers. I found a lot of moths in the hamster food we had saved after the hamster passed. After getting rid of the hamster food, I washed down the hamster cage and all the things related to the hamster with vinegar in the water. I had less moths, but still found a few. I bought heavier zip sealed bags-not the ones with the close tab, but the ones your press closed with your fingers. I put my oatmeal and most other products within the heavier zip sealed bags, but oatmeal needed 2-gallon bags- if I put the whole container within it. Plastic close tabs allow room for moths to enter. Note: I watched a video that said it isn’t necessary that infested food like flour be thrown away. It suggested you freeze the food item and later sift out the moths and larvae to throw away outside. It said that Indian Meal Moths won’t make the food unhealthy to eat. When it’s used for cooking, it isn’t obvious to others.

Please list creative things you've done during the Pandemic In A Pinch in the Comments Section Below. Thanks! Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relate2theBible Podcast

Most Viewed Pandemic Ideas